COVID-19 Family Resource Page
With the ongoing news surrounding the new coronavirus, we have developed this page to share resources and information on campus readiness as we continue to closely monitor the status of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
As you know, the safety, security and well-being of our students and community is always our top priority. This is a time for preparation, precaution and prudence. We are working hard to be as prepared and proactive as possible so that we can maintain the health and safety of our community, be responsive and responsible to a rapidly unfolding situation, and focus on student learning given various conditions.
Please click on the relevant tab below for latest information.
We continue to instill and follow health and wellness best practices across campus, which include:
- Reminding those who are sick to remain at home. Mead School’s policy is that students and faculty should remain fever-free (without medication) for 24 hours before returning to school.
- We encourage best practices to reduce spread of germs. Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (sing Happy Birthday twice), or use an alcohol-based hand rub that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, throw the tissue away, then wash your hands.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow if a tissue is not available.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Recommending enough rest for students and adults.
- Encouraging people to understand the facts.
- Remember that the virus is not specific to any single race or origin. Discouraging stigma is important. See more here.
Additionally, The Mead School joins with independent schools across our nation in taking the following steps:
- Closely monitoring the situation: School personnel are following health services notifications and engaging in discussions related to the international, national, and local updates on the virus outbreak.
- Preparing our response: The Mead School is following the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) Connecticut Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) protocols to develop a stronger response should one be necessary in the coming weeks or months.
- Delivering teaching and learning: We are actively working with faculty and staff to identify mechanisms and processes for continuing student learning should school closure become necessary or mandated.
- Requesting family and staff travel disclosures: We have sent a survey (please see communication of 3/10/20 below) to our full community requesting transparency of travel plans over the next six months, so that we can monitor any potential exposure. A copy of our Travel Survey can be referenced HERE.
Main Government Site for all Coronovirus Updates:
The CDC Website provides daily updates on travel alerts for the coronavirus and all affected countries:
Talking To Kids About the Coronavirus:
Great Comic For Kids on Coronavirus:
National Assn. Of School Psychologists Resource for Parents